Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search
Collection:


Words or Phrase:


Search Method Help Image




Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Coming Soon!
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description
        
 

 
 

 
Within this Collection:

Title & Introduction

Municipal Government

Fire Department

Police Department

Industry

Railroads

Chesapeake and Ohio Canal

Bus and Air Transportation

Streetcars and Buses

Hotels in Cumberland

Medical profession and hospitals

Churches and Synagogues

Entertainment

Sports

Clubs, Taverns & Saloons

Prohibition Era

Local military forces

Black Population

Downtown in 1910

Downtown in 1930

Downtown in 1950

Virginia Avenue

Ku Klux Klan in Cumberland

Photographs


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints

Cumberland, Maryland through the eyes of Herman J. Miller

Herman Miller was a lifelong Cumberland resident with a great interest in the history of the city, serving on the City's Advisory Commission on Historical Matters and the Historic Preservation Commission during the 1970. He was also a member of the Cumberland Fire Department until his retirement. In 1978, he was the subject of an oral history by Dr. Harry Stegmaier of the history department at Frostburg State University. The resulting text was entitled Cumberland, Maryland Through the Eyes of Herman J. Miller, and covers topics from transportation and industry in Cumberland to the clubs and taverns and the local military forces.


Laying streetcar tracks on N. Centre Street
Dr. Stegmaier wrote in the introduction to the book that what Miller had created was not a history of the City of Cumberland, but a resource, drawn from his recollections, memories, scrapbooks, and photographs. “Above all, however, Herman J. Miller's memory of Cumberland was our greatest asset in this project. It is clear, vivid, well-documented, and when need be, he does his research well.”

The project as designed by Dr. Stegmaier involved meetings between the two men where a set of questions on a variety of subjects was agreed upon. Mr. Miller then wrote out answers to the questions. Clarification questions followed and then Dr Stegmaier edited the rough draft, being very careful to leave the copy in Herman Miller's own words as far as was possible.

The book was never published, but copies of the text were made available to local public and university libraries and individuals. It has been digitized in order to make it more widely available and to reduce wear and tear on the few copies that exist.

The photographs after each chapter were, according to the introduction, part of Miller’s own collection. The collection was later bought by the City of Cumberland and is online at the Herman and Stacia Miller Photo Collection on the City of Cumberland’s website. The Cumberland Sunday Times in September 1982 carried an article on the Millers and their photographs, Valley Street Man's Hobby Benefits Area Residents. Where possible the original photograph has been scanned and is included in its place in the book. However not all the photographs that Miller included have been located and so there are places where a scan of the Xeroxed page has been included. In addition, where there is no original photograph to use, one of a similar scene taken in the same time period has been included after the scan of the xeroxed page. Since the photographs are a significant part of telling the history of Cumberland it seemed important to illustrate the document as closely as possible to the original. Should any copies of the images that Miller selected be found, they will be included on this website, with attribution as to the current owner.


Western Maryland Regional Library is grateful to the City of Cumberland for agreeing to let us digitize this book and to Emerson Miller, son of Herman Miller, and Dr. Harry Stegmaier who worked on the original text. Thanks are owed to Kathy McKenney, Historic Planner/Preservation Coordinator of the City of Cumberland for making available the photographs from the Herman and Stacia Miller collection. Thanks also to MaryJo Price, Special Collections at the Lewis J. Ort Library, Frostburg State University for allowing us to use their copy of the text; and to the Appalachian Collection, Allegany College of Maryland; Rob Schoeberlein, Special Collections, Maryland State Archives; the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal National Historical Park; and Al Feldstein for the use of photographs in their collections.

 
   
Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image