Revolutionary War - Military Lots (- The Soldier Lands)
The Soldier Lands.
—To discharge the engagements of the State towards its officers and soldiers for their services during the Revolution, the General Assembly, at the November session of 1781, appropriated all the vacant lands westward of Fort Cumberland (within the present limits of Allegany and Garrett Counties), reserved or otherwise, except so far as they were fairly covered by warrants, etc., to fulfill these obligations. By this act it was also provided that there should be a land-office for the Western Shore at Annapolis, and another on the Eastern Shore, where the General Court was held. In April, 1787, the Legislature passed a resolution authorizing the Governor to employ a competent person to lay out the vacant lands belonging to the State westward of Fort Cumberland, in lots of fifty acres each. In pursuance of this resolution, Francis Deakins was appointed, and at the November session of the Legislature of 1788, having finished a general plat of the lands, he reported to the General Assembly, whereupon an act was passed “to dispose of the reserved lands westward of Fort Cumberland." To each of the Maryland officers who had served in the Revolution were assigned four lots, and to each private one lot, as follows:
J. Thomas Scharf.
J. Thomas Scharf, well known as a historian and author of History of Western Maryland, was the Commissioner of the Land Office for the State of Maryland. The Land Office was the repository for information concerning titles to land in Maryland, hence Scharf's interest in and access to this list.
These names can be found on the Maryland State Archives site, Land Office: Lots West of Fort Cumberland
Washington County Free Library
28 x 20 cms
History of Western Maryland, Philadelphia: Louis H. Everts, 1882.
Land grants--Maryland--Allegany County--Maps; Land grants--Maryland--Garrett County--Maps; Francis Deakins
1778, Garrett County, Maryland.