Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search
Collection:


Words or Phrase:


Search Method Help Image




Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description
        
 

  


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
 
R.M. Hays and Bros. photographs (- C&O Canal, Williamsport)


Williamsport,  C&O Canal Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information

   



The scene includes a canal boat being pulled by a team of mules, a canal boat near STEFFEY & FINDLAY's Coal Yard and lock 44 near Williamsport, the cemetery and the Potomac River. The hill is now known as Doubleday Hill, rather than Cemetery Hill, after Union Captain Abner Doubleday's earthwork battery built to halt Confederate raids across the Potomac River.



ID:
wchp045

Caption:
Williamsport - Cemetery Hill, C & O Canal, about 1890

Creator:
unknown

Rights:
Ellen DiBiase & Lewis Mountcastle

Notes:
The caption reads 1890, but given the extensive flooding of the river in 1889 it is likely that this photograph was taken earlier.

Date:
1890

Collection Location:
Hagerstown, Maryland

Original Size:
19 x 25 cms

Subject:
Washington County (Md.)--History--Pictorial works; Hagerstown (Md.)--History--Pictorial works; 1863 - 1920

Coverage:
Washington County (Md.), 1863 - 1920

 
 
Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image