Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search
Collection:


Words or Phrase:


Search Method Help Image




Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description
        
 

  


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
 
Old Master painting given honoring retiring director


Bruce Etchison receives Lanzani painting as a tribute Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information

   



It was the end of an era and the beginning of a new at the Washington County Museum of Fine Arts on Monday evening but overall there was an aura of gladness as over two hundred persons turned out to pay special tribute to the retiring director, Bruce Etchison, and his wife, and to welcome a new director, Alan Du Bois, and his wife.

This was the final opportunity for local members of the museum, who came by special invitation, to pay their due respect to Mr. Etchison and his wife for his service of distinction to the people of this community and wish them God speed in their future work at the Abby Aldrich Rockefeller Folk Art Museum in Colonial Williamsburg. It was also an opportunity for the large group of friends of the museum to be heartened by the fresh, youthful earnestness of the new director, and realize that the work of the museum would continue on under capable hands.

Symbolizing the end of this transition are the three persons above who perhaps have played the most significant role in the growth of the museum during Mr. Etchison's reign. Standing before the painting "Madonna and Child With Saints Roch and Anthony Abbot" by Polidoro Lanzani, Venetian 1515-1565, which was given by an anonymous donor and the Mrs. William Grimm Trust Fund in honor of Bruce Etchison, are, left, Abris Silberman of the E.&.A. Silberman Galleries, New York City, whose personal interest in the local museum and rapport with the retiring director was responsible for the large and growing permanent collection of Old Masters belonging to the museum. With him, center, is Mrs. William T. Hamilton, Jr., whose dedication, vision, and personal giving of self in the interest of the museum, has fulfilled the trust placed in her by Mr. and Mrs. William Singer with their gift of the museum to the people of Washington County. And, a measure of the respect which he has earned, both from the people of this community and from the art world on the national scene, is indicated in the presentation of the Old Master painting in honor of the retiring director, right, for during his tenure the permanent collection has grown by a half million dollars through gifts alone.

The era that has passed has been a good one. Rich and rewarding both to the director, to local citizens, and those who have worked with him at the museum.




ID:
wcmfa038

Rights:
Washington County Museum of Fine Arts

Collection Location:
Washington County Museum of Fine Arts

Subject:
Washington County Museum of Fine Arts (Md.), Anniversaries, etc.; Washington County Museum of Fine Arts (Md.), History; Art museums, Maryland, Washington County, History; Hagerstown (Md.), history.

Coverage:
Washington County (Md.), 1928-2006

 
 
Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image