Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search
Collection:


Words or Phrase:


Search Method Help Image




Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description
        
 

  


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
 
Hagerstown: An Illustrated Description, 1887


Schools Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information

   



very large cost. The Episcopal Church has a lofty and beautiful stone spire. The vestibule of the church, which is in the tower, is worthy of especial mention as one of the most beautiful of the kind in the United States The floor and walls are of tile work, embellished by designs done in hand painting. The door is also striking, being modelled after those of Litchfield Cathedral, England.

SCHOOLS.
There are three large public school buildings in Hagerstown, with a capacity of 2,000 pupils and all well filed, and all free schools, namely: The Male High School, the Female High School and the Antietam Grammar School. Great care is taken to secure the very best teachers, and the course of study is very comprehensive. There are also three or four well patronized and excel-lent private schools, and teachers who give private instructions in music, dancing and painting, the modern languages, and in fact every branch. St. Joseph's Academy, the parish school of St. Mary's Catholic Church, is conducted by the Sisters of Notre Dame. It is a large and excellent school. The Hagerstown Female Seminary is an old and well-established collegiate institution, with ample and beautiful buildings and grounds. The President is the Rev. C. L. Keedy, a minister of the Lutheran Church. The patronage of this school comes from many States, and it is very well known. The College of St. James Grammar School, a few miles from Hagerstown, is conducted by Mr. Henry Onderdonk and an able corps of assistants. It is the Diocesan school of the Episcopal Church and enjoys a high reputation for thorough instruction. Its site is Fountain Rock, the




ID:
wchi030

Page #:
30

Creator:
T. J. C. Williams

Rights:
public domain

Date:
1887

Collection Location:
Western Maryland Room, Washington County Free Library

Original Size:
22 x 14 cms

Contributor:
Hagerstown, Md., The Mail publishing company

Subject:
Hagerstown (Md.)--Description and travel; Hagerstown (Md.)--History--19th century

Coverage:
Washington County (Md.), 1887

 
 
Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image