Hagerstown: An Illustrated Description,
Bank, one of the leading and soundest institutions of the kind in the State, was organized March 12, 1807. It was the outcome of a private banking institution owned by Mr. Nathaniel Rochester. This gentleman, who became the founder of the city of Rochester, N. Y., was the first President of the Bank. His portrait now adorns the walls of the directors' room in the Bank. The business was conducted in a room in Mr. Rochester's house, a stone building which stood opposite the Court House, and has recently been pulled down to make place for Gov. Hamilton's new hotel, until 1814, when it was removed to its own building on the present location. Its capital stock was fixed at $250,000, but afterwards the Bank exercised its privilege of paying $10 on each share, reducing the stock to $150,000 at a par value of $15 per share. The Presidents of the Hagerstown Bank have been Nathaniel Rochester, Wm. Heyser, Elie Beatty, Otho Lawrence, Alex. Neill, Sr., J. Dixon Roman and Wm. T. Hamilton. The Cashiers: Elie Beatty, Daniel Sprigg, Wm. M. Marshall, John H. Kausler and Joseph Kausler.
The First National Bank, Col. Geo. Schley, President, and J. D. Newcomer, Cashier, is also one of the most flourishing financial institutions in the State. It has a large, new building and a beautiful banking room, fitted up with elegant furniture of home manufacture.
While Hagerstown cannot be classed as a manufacturing town, there are numerous factories covering a great field of enterprise, and the disposition to engage in and encourage these enterprises is constantly growing. Some
T. J. C. Williams
Western Maryland Room, Washington County Free Library
22 x 14 cms
Hagerstown, Md., The Mail publishing company
Hagerstown (Md.)--Description and travel; Hagerstown (Md.)--History--19th century
Washington County (Md.), 1887