Helen Binnie, 1882-1976
Dr Helen Binnie was the first Physician-Director of Frostburg’s Miners Hospital upon its opening in 1913. The hospital was the first state-supported hospital in the state, and was intended for miners. However, she left after a few months to join her father's private practice in Wisconsin. For some years the hospital had a matron, not a physician in charge.
The following additional information was provided by Garry Ritchie, Curator of the Frostburg Museum in Frostburg, Maryland:
Dr John Binnie was born in Loristown, Stirlingshire, Scotland, on September 16, 1844. He came to the United States with his family in 1851, and settled in McDonough County, Illinois; ten years later the family moved to Caledonia in Columbia County. Dr. Binnie was married twice; his first wife was Emma Josephine Axon. They were married in 1871, and she passed away in 1877. On September 16, 1878, he married Brigetta Waters; they had three daughters: Mary (Mrs. Fred Bohling), Helen (Mrs. Otto Zank) and Nora Belle.
Dr. Helen Binnie was born July 24, 1882, and was graduated from Poynette High School in 1901. She then attended the University of Wisconsin and the Milwaukee College of Physicians and Surgeons, from which she received her degree in medicine in 1912. For several years she was superintendent of Miners' Hospital, Frostburg, Maryland.
In 1916 she returned to practice in Poynette, where she continued to practice until 1922, at which time she sold her practice to Dr. W J Focke; she then moved to Kenosha, Wisconsin, where she practiced until her retirement in 1950. In 1927, Dr Helen and Otto Zank were married; Dr. Helen died February 3, 1976.
Text - Albert Feldstein
The postcard of the Frostburg Miners Hospital is from the collection of Al Feldstein, and is from shortly after the hospital was built in 1913. The photograph of Dr. Binnie is from the Frostburg Museum.
Allegany County (Md.)--Biography; Allegany County (Md.)--Women.
Allegany County, (Md.)