Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search

Words or Phrase:

Search Method Help Image

Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
Fairgo Race Track

Fairgo Race Track Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information


In 1924, "America's Most Beautiful Fairground," the Cumberland Fairgrounds was completed at a cost of $250,000. The Fairgrounds was built on a tract of land along the Potomac River south of Cumberland and beneath the towering cliffs of Knobley Mountain. Opening day for the new race track was on October 7, 1924. The track featured horseracing which was a popular attraction at "Fairgo" from the 1920s until the last horse race in September 1961. Local blacks, as well as transients or others who accompanied the race horse owners and trainers, often found employment here during the horseracing season. The following caption accompanied the 1954 newspaper photograph above:

"Here's Nell Keegan - Nell Keegan, two-year old filly owned by William V. Keegan, Cumberland finance commissioner, is shown above with Carroll Griggs, of the J.C. Cremen Stable, at Fairgo, where the Cumberland Fair Association's 10-day race meeting opens Wednesday at 2 p.m. Nell is a daughter of Tandis which won three races at Fairgo in 1947. The two-year-old filly, which made her racing debut at the Pimlico spring meeting, is trained by "Jimmy" Cremen."


Photograph and text: Cumberland News, June 19, 1954

Collection Location:
Allegany County, Maryland

African Americans, History; Allegany County (Md.), History.

Allegany County (Md.), 1890-2008

Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image