Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search
Collection:


Words or Phrase:


Search Method Help Image




Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description
        
 

  


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
 
McKendree Church - Paca Street


McKendree United Methodist Church - Paca Street Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information

   



This photograph depicts the former McKendree United Methodist Church building on Paca Street. The McKendree Methodist Episcopal congregation, later known as the McKendree United Methodist Church, was established in 1854. It was also in 1854 that the original McKendree site, a modern two-story brick structure, was purchased on North Centre Street in Cumberland.

In the early 1960s the congregation decided to build a new church and in 1962 the congregation laid the cornerstone for its new site on Paca Street. This building served McKendree for over forty years. In 2006 the congregation officially merged with the Potomac Park United Methodist Church and relocated to Potomac Park to form the McKendree United Methodist Church of Potomac Park.

A more detailed history of McKendree is located elsewhere on this website.




ID:
acaa172

Notes:
Photograph: Courtesy of McKendree United Methodist Church of Potomac Park

Collection Location:
Allegany County, Maryland

Subject:
African Americans, History; Allegany County (Md.), History.

Coverage:
Allegany County (Md.), 1890-2008

 
 
Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image