Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search
Collection:


Words or Phrase:


Search Method Help Image




Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description
        
 

  


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
 
Town Clock Church


Town Clock Church Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information

   



Henry Ward Beecher (1813-1887), the famous abolitionist, clergyman, reformer, orator, and brother of Harriet Beecher Stowe who wrote, Uncle Tom's Cabin, preached at this church in 1866.

The German-speaking Evangelical Lutheran Congregation began construction on the "Town Clock" Church located on Bedford at High Street in 1848. It was dedicated in March 1850. Tradition states that the name "Town Clock" stems from an offer by the city to supply a town clock to the church tower completed first by either the German Lutherans or the German Catholics at St. Peter and Paul's. The Lutheran women held torches and lanterns for their men to work by night in order to complete the steeple and win the competition. The clock, which cost the city of Cumberland fifty dollars, was placed in the tower in June 1857. In 1927, the original congregation, the St. Luke Congregation, relocated, and in 1931 the edifice became the First Christian Church.




ID:
acaa194

Notes:
Postcard and text from the collection of Albert and Angela Feldstein

Collection Location:
Allegany County, Maryland

Subject:
African Americans, History; Allegany County (Md.), History.

Coverage:
Allegany County (Md.), 1890-2008

 
 
Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image