GERALDINE G MANN
July 9, 2003
Geraldine Gaston Mann, entered life eternal on Sunday, July 6, having suffered a heart attack ten days prior. She was 91 and had been living in The National Lutheran Home, Rockville. Her husband, Robert H. Mann Sr.; and son, Robert H. Mann Jr., preceded her in death. Mrs. Mann was born in Keyser, W.Va., the daughter of Dr. and Mrs. Lloyd H. Gatson, but moved to Cumberland in 1919. She graduated from Allegany High School in 1929, and received a B.A. degree from West Virginia Wesleyan College in 1993. In 1967 she completed a M.A. degree.
Her teaching career in Allegany County included seven years as an itinerant vocal and instrumental music teachers, traveling to Flintstone and Mount Savage and teaching in the then Black school, Carver. Later she taught English for 20 years at Allegany High School. She retired in 1972. After 17 years in Bradenton, Fla., Mr. and Mrs. Mann moved to The National Lutheran Home, Rockville, in 1989. Initially they lived in Independent Living. Mr. Mann died in 1991 and Gerry continued to live independently until August 02 when she entered the home. Surviving are two daughters, Barbara Mann Hanst of Baltimore; and Doris Mann Sandker and husband Frank of Angola, Ind.; a daughter-in-law, Polly Mann Ewald of Bradenton; and four grandchildren; and one great-grandchild.
A Memorial service will be held on Saturday, July 12, 2003, at 11 a.m. in the Chapel of The National Lutheran Home, with visitation with the family at 10 a.m. A Graveside committal service and interment of ashes will be held at Queens Point Cemetery, in Keyser, W.Va., at 4 p.m. on that same day, conducted by the Rev. Richard Seaks. Friends are welcome. In lieu of flowers, the family suggests gifts be made to The Auxiliary of the National Lutheran Home, 9701 Viers Drive, Rockville, MD 20850 or St. Johns Lutheran Church, 406 Arch St., Cumberland, MD 21502.
Geraldine G. Mann was one of the white teachers at Carver.
Allegany County, Maryland
African Americans, History; Allegany County (Md.), History.
Allegany County (Md.), 1890-2008