Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search

Words or Phrase:

Search Method Help Image

Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
Obituaries - Steyer

Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information


(brother of JOHN JACOB and MARGARET STEYER)- (Continued)

E.C. Jessup”
[FMJ, 12-22-1888, p. 4]

“A Tribute. At a recent meeting of the Council of the English Lutheran church, of this place, the resolutions below were passed. The copy furnished the JOURNAL is [signed] ‘E.C. Jessup, secretary pro tem.
Resolved, That in the death of GEORGE STEYER, we recognize the hand of Almighty God, and as we desire always to bow in submission to His providence, we must say ‘thy will be done.’
Resolved, That in his death we have lost the oldest member of the Council and one who always took a deep interest in the welfare and success of the church, a wise counselor and a true christian, in whose whole life shone forth the graces and spirit of his Divine Master.
Resolved, That we deeply mourn his loss and sincerely commend his christian virtues and graces and that we will cherish his memory, and seek to carry forward the work and the church so dear to his heart.
Resolved, That we hereby extend to his bereaved wife and relatives our profound sympathy in their great loss and sorrow, and commend them to an all-comforting God and to Jesus, who alone can speak peace to the troubled soul.
Resolved, That a copy of these resolutions be sent to the wife of our deceased brother, and that they be printed in the MINING JOURNAL of Frostburg, Md., and in the Lutheran Observer.” [FMJ, 1-5-1889, p. 1]

Notice of the death of Henrietta Heyer Snyder Steyer, George’s second wife, on January 14, 1911 was located in FMJ for 1-14-1911, p. 2. Mrs. Steyer died in Somerset, PA and was buried near there.

b. October 28, 1803
d. October 24, 1878
a. 74 yrs. 11 mos. 26 dys.

“Death of an Old Citizen. Mr. JACOB STEYER, an old and highly respected citizen of Frostburg, died at his residence in this place on Thursday about noon. Mr. Steyer was born near Frostburg on the 28th day of October, 1803, and was therefore 74 years, 11 months and 26 days old. He was a farmer by occupation and always noted for an industry and frugality which at length earned him a considerable fortune. He leaves two brothers and two sisters—one each living in Frostburg—the others near Oakland, Md. He was never married. During life he was a member of the Lutheran Church. His funeral will take place at that church to-morrow (Sunday) at 3 o’clock, p.m.” [FMJ 10-26-1878, p. 3]

The Frostburg Mining Journal [5-3-1879] tells of a dispute which occurred on the occasion of Jacob’s death. Just prior to death, Jacob had given Marx Wineland a signed blank check. The amount to be filled was supposed to have been $1000. Of that amount, a certain portion was to be used to cover Jacob’s funeral expenses and the remainder was to be donated to the Lutheran Church. Mr. Wineland spent $800 for the funeral and donated $200 to the church. However, Jacob’s heirs complained that the amounts should have been reversed—the smaller going toward the funeral and the larger to the church. Apparently the dispute lasted for several years and even went through the court system although the result was a hung jury. It is not until 1883 that a notice appears in the Frostburg Mining Journal [4-28-1883] indicating that George Steyer, Jacob’s brother and Nathan Frost finally settled the account. No details of the settlement are given.

Mr. Steyer was a member of the English Lutheran Church and donated the land upon which St. Paul’s Lutheran Church is built [Sketch, 1912 , p. 40].

Scharf [p. 1477] refers to Mr. Steyer as JOHN JACOB .

( First wife of GEORGE STEYER)
b. 1805
d. December 13, 1867
a. 62

The Frostburg Mining Journal [1-30-1868] indicated that Mrs. Steyer made a bequest of her house to the English Lutheran Church. However, the house was subsequently purchased by George Steyer. For some reason, her bequest had to pass the state legislature to become legal [FMJ, 2-5-1868]. The Frostburg Mining Journal [5-6-1868] indicates that Jacob Steyer and Joseph Knode were made executors of Mrs. Steyer’s estate. Scharf lists her maiden name as Uhl and her marriage to George as December 14, 1823 [p. 1477]. Her parents were Charles Uhl and Catherine Close.


Page #:

Anthony E. Crosby and Michael R. Olson


Collection Location:
Frostburg, Md

Original Size:
28 x 22 cms

Cemeteries, Maryland, Frostburg; Obituaries, Maryland, Frostburg. .

Frostburg (Md.), 1800-1972

Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image