Cumberland, Maryland (Medical profession and hospitals)
In 1890, there were thirteen. In 1900, thirty-one doctors were in Cumberland, including two female physicians and one Black doctor. Five years later there were thirty-one doctors, among them two Black physicians. Four had offices in South Cumberland. In 1909, there were two female physicians in Cumberland. One hundred years after the first listing of 1873, when there were but eight doctors listed in the Cumberland City Directory, there were fifty-eight doctors listed, that is, in 1973. Listed also were three podiatrists, six chiropractors, and three optometrists. Specialized medicine is noted in Cumberland in 1873 when there was one oculist and one homeopathist physician in Cumberland. Besides Dr. Walter F. Fundenberg who in 1880 treated eye diseases, eyeglasses could be bought at drugstores and jewelry stores. With the coming of the five-and-ten-cent stores, people could buy eyeglasses at these stores. A person would fit himself or herself. As a test to purchase the right strength of glasses, there was usually a page of fine print. A page out of a telephone book was often used. A person would try on the glasses until the required glass was found and then make the purchase. Little's Jewelry Store at 144 Baltimore Street in 1890 had an optician on the staff. In 1901, Powell, the jeweler at 103 Baltimore Street, advertised optical goods, with a special optical department. In 1901, Dr. E. L. Jones, oculist, had an office at 100 Baltimore Street. Opticians were listed in 1901 at S. T. Little and Sons at 144 Baltimore Street, Walter Powell with an office at 103 Baltimore Street, and P. J. Smith at 96 Baltimore Street. The above three were jewelers. In 1901, Jacob B. Dantzic had offices at 34 Hanover Street. Dantzic was listed as an optician. In 1905, a dermatologist, Ida V. Kalbaugh, had an office at 72 Bedford Street. Robert Y. Fechtig at 11 South Centre Street, and E. L. Jones
Miller, Herman J.
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland
27 x 20 cms
Cumberland (Md.), history
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976