Cumberland, Maryland (Medical profession and hospitals)
at 100 Baltimore Street, were listed as oculists. In 1909, there were two dermatologists, Mrs. Anna M. Frantz at 19 South Centre Street, and Ida V. Kalbaugh at 5 South Centre Street. Five opticians were serving Cumberland in 1909, including Edwin H. Beaver at 181 Virginia Avenue.
In the 1920's, chiropractors were practicing in Cumberland. Some of the early ones were Dr. Arthur N. Golladay at 19 South Centre Street, George X. Berry at 58 North George Street, John A. Crist at 114 Virginia Avenue, Mrs. Mai Jenkins at 161 Bedford Street, and Roy L. Bowman at 67 North Centre Street. In 1921, Isabel Garrison Eiler, at 5 South Centre Street, was known as a drugless physician and advertised the original science of spinal adjustment. In 1921 there were listed two midwives, Elizabeth Mintdrop at 32 Cedar Street, and Mrs. Katherine Stein at 195 North Centre Street. In the early 1920's there were two veterinary surgeons in Cumberland, Alley Toy, a Black veterinary surgeon with offices at 368 Bedford Street, and Thomas W. Udy at 117 Frederick Street. Mrs. Neva D. Kline, 212 Seymour Street, was an osteopathic physician.
In the early 1960's, Dr. Richard W. Trevaskis, Jr., opened an office at 200 Baltimore Avenue for the practice of psychiatry, being the first psychiatrist in Cumberland. Today, many local physicians limit their practice to certain fields, such as pediatrics, radiology and nuclear medicine, plastic surgery, orthopedic surgery, eye, ear and throat, urology, obstetrics and gynecology, dermatology, radiology-cobalt therapy, nuclear medicine, and cardiovascular disease. In Cumberland there are now three doctors who limit their practice to psychiatry
Miller, Herman J.
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland
27 x 20 cms
Cumberland (Md.), history
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976