Cumberland, Maryland (Medical profession and hospitals)
3. Locations of doctors' offices in Cumberland.
Of the eight doctors who served Cumberland in 1873, seven had offices in Downtown Cumberland. Some had offices in their households. Today, in 1977, there are 110 doctors listed for practice in Cumberland. Twenty-six have offices in the Memorial Hospital Medical Building adjacent to Memorial Hospital, thirty-five are on Seton Drive near Sacred Heart Hospital, thirteen have offices in Downtown Cumberland, fourteen on the West Side of Cumberland, and three in the South End. The others are on the National Highway or at other addresses in or around Cumberland.
4. Outstanding events that occurred in the medical profession in Cumberland.
Dr. John F. C. Hadel, whose office was in the building at the corner of Baltimore and George Streets in the Smith Tenderfoot Shoe Store building, was murdered on October 14, 1855 by Frederick Miller, also known as Henry Miller. Miller also murdered Henry Graf, a woodcarver by trade, who was employed by Dr. Hadel in his leisure time in the study of medicine. On Sunday, October 14, 1855, Dr. Hadel was seen going out the Old National Pike (Route 40) with Miller, who was carrying a double barrelled shotgun. Several hours later, Miller returned alone and stopped at the house of John Steele near the intersection of the Cresaptown Road and the National Road (Vocke Road and Route 40), where Miller left the gun. Miller continued into town, where he supposedly told Henry Graf that Dr. Hadel had fallen into the water and wanted dry clothes. Graf, carrying a suit of the doctor's, went with Miller over the same route. When they reached the Steele house, Miller
Miller, Herman J.
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland
27 x 20 cms
Cumberland (Md.), history
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976