Cumberland, Maryland (Medical profession and hospitals)
place of execution would be in a ravine west of the Alms House where the gallows had been built. On the day of the hanging, a wagon of the Adams Express Company wasbrought by Henry Hagan to the County Jail, a building next to the present public library on Washington Street. The prisoner's coffin was loaded into the wagon and the prisoner was seated on it. The procession then went up the Little Valley Road to the Alms House to the place where the gallows were set up. The sheriff and his deputies with a large group of people arrived about noon. The Allegany Guards, one of Cumberland's military companies, volunteered to aid the sheriff in executing the law and were present in force. After the hanging had taken place, and after hanging thirty minutes, the body was lowered into its coffin and loaded into the express wagon. The wagon was driven off hurriedly to Hoffman's Hollow, now Central Avenue, and buried.
On November 14, 1891, Frank Laffin, a young shoemaker, while walking the tracks of the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad near Cumberland, fell through a cattle stop, severely cutting his leg just below the kneecap. Laffin, being with two friends, was assisted out of the place and taken to the house of Mr. C. H. Somerkamp nearby. Mr. Somerkamp, on learning of the nature of the injury, bandaged it as best he could and advised him to go to a physician. They told him they had no money and he then referred him to Dr. Craigen, who was the County Physician, where he supposed Dr. Craigen would attend to the injury free of charge. This all happened during the night. Mr. Somerkamp went with them to the doctor's house and awakened him. The doctor, after seeing the nature of the wound, washed it, put two stitches in the cut and bandaged it. This done, the doctor told the men his bill was two dollars and
Miller, Herman J.
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland
27 x 20 cms
Cumberland (Md.), history
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976