Cumberland, Maryland (Medical profession and hospitals)
found to be too small. A larger building at the corner of Union and Ellen, now Altamont Terrace, Streets was secured and seventy-two of Cumberland's leading citizens pledged themselves to subscribe to its successful maintenance. An appeal was made for state aid, and $5,000 was granted. The grant, together with popular subscriptions, totalled $7,800.48. The report at the end of the first year showed expenditures of only $2,571.66. With this surplus it was decided to purchase a lot upon which to erect a permanent home. The site chosen was on Baltimore Avenue. Since the house on Union Street had been sold by the owner, it was necessary to find another house at once. A new but temporary home was found in the old Korn's Mansion on Bedford Street. A bill had been introduced by Senator George A. Pearre providing for a further appropriation of $10,000 to be used as a building fund. It passed both houses, became a law, and the money was used as specified. The ground on Baltimore Avenue was purchased at a cost of $1,400, the grounds were cleared and building operations commenced. The building committee was composed of C. J. Orrick, J. N. M. Brandler, Sigmund Tanzer, P. H. Daughtrey and R. D. Rohrer. The low bidder was George D. Landwehr, who received the contract. The building was dedicated and opened on November 21, 1892, by religious exercises held by the Ministerial Association. Reverend Clarence Buehl, Rabbi Stern of the Jewish Synagogue, Reverend Walter Witten of Christ Reformed Church, Reverend Finkbinder of the English Lutheran Church, with Elder Wheel of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and Reverend James E. Moffatt, D.D., of the First Presbyterian Church presiding, participated. The dedication was followed by speeches by George A. Pearre and Dr. C. H. Ohr. In the new hospital there was room
Miller, Herman J.
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland
27 x 20 cms
Cumberland (Md.), history
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976