Cumberland, Maryland (Medical profession and hospitals)
the report of The Western Maryland Hospital for the month of December, 1898, was issued by Mrs. B. S. Randolph, Secretary. It gave the following: eleven patients were remaining in the hospital on November 30, 1898. Patients admitted during December, 1898, totaled twelve. The sum total was 23. Patients discharged during December totaled eleven. One patient died after four hours in the hospital. Patients remaining on December 31, 1898, totaled eleven and inmates in the home department were six. This equaled a total of 29 treated in the month. Each averaged 16.9 days, at a cost of 75.2 cents per day.
At 3:00 PM on Sunday, February 17, 1910, a new addition to the building and equipment was opened to the public. In attendance were the Mayor and City Council of Cumberland, the Board of Allegany County Commissioners, as well as a body of representative citizens from the city and county. The visitors to the new addition to The Western Maryland Hospital were shown through the building. All present found words of praise for the up-to-date condition of the institution. At the formal opening of the new addition to the hospital, there also was the dedication of the sun parlor which was built as a memorial to the late Mrs. Louisa Hinkle, who some years earlier had left a bequest of $1,000 to the hospital. The sun parlor was dedicated to her and marked by a brass tablet on the wall setting forth the fact. The entire furnishings were donated by Mr. and Mrs. H. U. F. Flurshutz, which was also noted on a brass tablet immediately underneath the Hinkle plate. Mr. J. W. Thomas gave the address at the dedication of the sun parlor. He also referred in fitting terms to Mr. Sileg Adler, uncle of the Rosenbaum brothers of this city. Mr. Adler had years ago bequeathed the sum of $100 to
Miller, Herman J.
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland
27 x 20 cms
Cumberland (Md.), history
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976