Cumberland, Maryland (Medical profession and hospitals)
the hospital, which was used in fitting up the modern dietetic kitchen now in use there. The new addition was built on the southeastern end of the main building, and was 50 by 85 feet and three stories high. It contained four more wards, two of which were for Black people, twenty-one additional rooms, a spacious and well appointed dining room, and three more bathrooms. A modern hydraulic elevator had just been installed which took the place of the old hand-powered elevator installed in 1904. The private rooms in the new addition were beautifully furnished some as a memorial to deceased loved ones, by the following persons: Mrs. Robert McDonald, Mrs. Arthur H. Amick, Mrs. Sue Gephart, Mrs. George F. Gillette, Mrs. Albert Fowler, Mrs. Franklin Edwards, Mrs. John Williams Avirett, Mrs. Thomas Footer, Mrs. James A. Millholland, Mrs. Calton Lewis Bretz, and two graduate nurses, Misses Ella Clifton and Bessie Scroll. The Lowndes Room, originally furnished by the late Governor Lowndes, had recently been handsomely refurnished throughout by Mrs. Lowndes. Emmanuel Room continued to be maintained by the Emmanuel Episcopal Church, being renewed from time to time by a committee having the work in charge. The Catholic Benevolent Legion still retained one of the rooms which it furnished when the hospital was opened. Mr. Robert Shriver presented a magnificent porcelain-lined refrigerator to the hospital and the Hebrew Aid Society made a handsome and valuable donation of household garments. The hospital management was then under the direction of the Board of Directors, with the President being J. W. Thomas, Mrs. J. W. Avirett as Vice-president, Mrs. B. S. Randolph as Secretary, Mrs. G. A. Reinhard as Treasurer, and Messrs. Robert Shriver, Matthew Sloan, James A. Millholland, and Mesdames Robert MacDonald,
Miller, Herman J.
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland
27 x 20 cms
Cumberland (Md.), history
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976