Cumberland, Maryland (Municipal Government)
at the Elks Home on South Centre Street, and the X-Y-Z Club, which meets the second and fourth Tuesdays of the month at 1:00 PM at the Kennedy Homes recreation room. The School Community Center Program in cooperation with the Board of Education, a program for men and women held at Washington and Braddock Junior High Schools to provide new activities and to promote after school use of facilities, includes slimnastics, volleyball, tumbling, basketball, gymnastics demonstrations, golf, tennis, and the library, and are also run by the Recreation Department. In the sixth year's operation during 151 sessions, 4,677 persons participated.
The Recreation Advisory Board includes Norman F. Geats, Jr. as Chairman, Robert E. Pence as Vice-Chairman, Edward C. Athey, Edward Cosgrove, Richard Cioni, William B. Orndorff, Mrs. Joy Zembower, James D. Eckard, and Charles H. Creswell. The Recreation Department staff consists of C. Eugene Mason as Director, James S. Stafford, Jr. as Recreation Supervisor, Delbert W. Payton as Recreation Leader, and Thomas J. Hopwood as Parks Supervisor.
The Cumberland Recreation Department was started in 1948. The past directors include Edmund Hoey in 1948, Robert Pence in 1952, Gwynn Fletcher in 1956, and C. Eugene Mason in 1957. In October, 1967, Mr. Mason resigned and for nine months the acting director was Mrs. Eva M. Hogan. In 1968 operations merged to form the Department of Parks and Recreation and C. Eugene Mason was hired as the first director of this department and is the present director. The Department operates under the authority of the Commissioner of Streets and Public Property.
The Cumberland Urban Renewal Agency was organized July 12, 1962
Miller, Herman J.
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland
27 x 20 cms
Cumberland (Md.), history
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976