Cumberland, Maryland (Municipal Government)
with the first renewal project on South George Street from Harrison Street, in 1962. The Downtown Mall, which is in the planning stage, will be its last project. William E. DeMare was the first director. The Board of Directors included Marion T. Powers, Chairman; Karl Bachman, Vice-Chairman; Denton Fuller, Secretary; Edward Ewald, Harry Smith, and Wayland Smith as Assistant Director. In 1969 the Director was Frank Coppa with Jerry Goodwin as Assistant Director. In 1975, and presently, the Director is Jerry Goodwin with Fay Mummert as Assistant Director. The 1977 CURA Board included Charles Steiner, Chairman; Karl Bachman, Vice-Chairman; Allen Shaw, and Richard McKenzie. Mr. Bachman has been a member of the CURA Board since its start. At its completion, CURA will be absorbed by the Department of Community Development. The Director is George Scarlett. The first Director was Charles Patterson. The heads of various city departments in 1977 included J. Frederick Sharer, City Solicitor; George E. Weaver, Superintendent of Streets; Charles Baker, Superintendent of Water Distribution and Maintenance; A. Ray Nixon, Superintendent of the Filtration Plant; Fred Street, Acting Superintendent of the Waste Water Treatment Plant; Lee Busch, the Sanitary Sewer Department Superintendent; and Albert R. Nixon in charge of Vehicle Maintenance.
The Department of Engineering includes John W. DeWitt, Director of Public Works; William C. Simpson, Superintendent of Flood Project Maintenance and the Airport.
The Department of Finance and Revenue includes John W. Stotler, Commissioner-Treasurer; Arthur C. Crum, Certified Public Accountant for the city; William Z. Burke, City Comptroller; Daniel F. McMullen, Chairman
Miller, Herman J.
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland
27 x 20 cms
Cumberland (Md.), history
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976