Cumberland, Maryland (Entertainment)
has brought circuses to Cumberland and will do the same this year.
Circus grounds were also located at the baseball park on Wineow Street, the South End Ball Park, at a field between Virginia Avenue and the C&O Canal across from the B&O Shops, and at the Cumberland Fair Grounds.
Carnivals years ago were held quite often. Some fraternal order or athletic team or other, in order to raise money, would sponsor a carnival. It usually worked that the sponsors would receive part of the money that was taken during the week. In turn, members of the sponsoring group would help at the carnival as ticket takers, ushers, etc. Carnival grounds were back of the Algonquin Hotel, at the Mid-City Ball Park on Wineow Street, the South End Ball Park, a lot on Laing Avenue, and on Frederick Street Extended in the rear of Bedford Street. This was before the section was developed. Sometimes the streets -- South Centre Street, South George Street, and Salem Street alongside the Armory -- were used. Cumberland Lodge #63, B.P.O. Elks sponsored a mid-summer carnival and trades display July 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, and 12, 1902. The show was the famous Bostock-Ferari Carnival combination. Show grounds were in back of the Algonquin Hotel.
For one week beginning May 25, 1903, F.O. Eagles #245 would have the Eagles' carnival and spring festival on the lot back of the Algonquin Hotel. Willis-Heck Carnival Company would be on the grounds. Mark's Shows were here both for the Sesqui-Centennial of 1937 and the Fort Cumberland Bicentennial in 1955. Other carnivals were Johnny Jones, Strate's, Prell's Broadway Shows, Vivonai's Amusements of America, and Dell-Travers Shows. They have been at the Cumberland Fair Grounds during the annual fair for many
Miller, Herman J.
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland
27 x 20 cms
Cumberland (Md.), history
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976