Cumberland, Maryland (Entertainment)
ENTERTAINMENT IN CUMBERLAND
1. Where were movie theatres located in Cumberland and what were their dates of operation? Was live stage entertainment held in Cumberland? Where? When?
Many movie theatres operated in Cumberland, both Up-town Cumberland and in South Cumberland. The first movie houses were the Savoy on Baltimore Street near the B&O Railroad crossing, in 1906. For the week of December 3, 1906, an advertisement in the paper stated the program would include a biograph, "The Strike,” a social drama, and "The Widow and the Only Man“, a touching romance of society. Also, beautifully illustrated songs and two live comedy acts were held. Admission to all was ten cents. The Keystone Amusement Company leased a room in the Walsh Building, now the Clark-Keating Building, on the first floor. It was opened in July, 1906, and was called the Arcade. Also, in 1906, a new theatre called the Nickelodeon opened at 15 Baltimore Street. Another movie house was the Dreamland, 1906. Later in the same year the name was changed to the Electric Theatre. This was located at 150 Baltimore Street, which also was later the location of the Savoy Theatre. On July 1, 1906, the Wieland Theatre opened on Baltimore Street across from what is now Schwarzenbach's store. Later the name was changed to the Victoria Theatre. Merryland Fark on South Centre Street, next to the Freeway Bridge, showed movies when it was open in the summer. It also held live performances. The Maryland Theatre on North Mechanic Street
Miller, Herman J.
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland
27 x 20 cms
Cumberland (Md.), history
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976