Cumberland, Maryland (Entertainment)
opened on November 21, 1907 and closed October 12, 1963. It showed movies and live shows. Others were the Electric Theatre in South Cumberland in 1907; the Poli Theatre on Virginia Avenue in 1910, owned by O. W. Blaul; The Palace Theatre on Virginia Avenue in 1911; The Belvedere Theatre, now the site of the First Federal building, owned by the Fisher Brothers, from 1910 to 1928; The Liberty Theatre on North Liberty Street in 1912; The Hippodrome Theatre on South Mechanic Street, now the Odd Fellows building, from September 2 5, 1913 to 1915; The Empire, also known as the Grande, now the site of Kaplon's Store on Baltimore Street, from January 5, 1914 to August 23, 1919; The Majestic Theatre on the first floor of the K of C Building on North Mechanic Street, from May 4, 1914 to June 30, 1914; The Strand on South Liberty and Pershing Streets, first named the Rialto; The Garden Theatre, which opened as the Howard, a theatre for Black people on North Mechanic Street, now the site of the Kennedy Homes, on July 11, 1927; The Embassy, on Baltimore Street, across from the Clark Building in 1931; The Light Cinema, 308 Virginia Avenue, opened on Wednesday, April 9, 1975; and the Capitol, on Baltimore Street, now the site of Kaplon's, in 1921. It later moved to the Revco Building. There were a number of movie houses in South Cumberland, such as the Poli Theatre in 1910, the Electric Theatre in 1907, the Central Theatre on Virginia Avenue between Third and Fourth Streets, the Palace Theatre in 1911, the Dreamland Theatre on Virginia Avenue between Fourth and Fifth Streets, the Leader Theatre in the Odd Fellows building on Virginia Avenue, the New (Star) in 1914 on Virginia Avenue, and the Lloyd in 1927 at 226 Virginia Avenue. Theatres that staged live shows were the Maryland, Liberty, Strand, Majestic, Merryland Park,
Miller, Herman J.
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland
27 x 20 cms
Cumberland (Md.), history
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976