Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search
Collection:


Words or Phrase:


Search Method Help Image




Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description
        
 

  


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
 
Cumberland, Maryland (Entertainment)


Entertainment Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information

   



Belvedere Hall (now the First Federal Bank Building) as early as 1865, the Academy of Music in 1876, and the Jefferson Opera House on the corner of South Centre and Harrison Streets, the site of the Jenvey Building, in 1870.


2. Where were dance halls located in Cumberland and what were their dates of operation?

Dance halls were Daisy's Hall, also known as the Roseland, in 192 0, on South Mechanic Street, now the site of the post office; Robert's Hall on Virginia Avenue in 1902; Philokalien Club (Pelican) on the corner of Glen and Front Streets, later Baltimore Avenue near Goethe Street, in 1898; the Dance Pavilion at Narrows Park in 1892; the Potomac Club in Ridgeley, 1904; the Queen City Hotel in 18 72; the Windsor Hotel, from 1842 to 1958; Wills Mountain Inn in 1899; The Knights of Columbus on North Mechanic Street in 1912; the Fort Cumberland Hotel in January, 1918; the Old and New Armory Building on South Centre Street; Millers Hall on North Centre Street between Frederick and Bedford Streets; The Moose Home at Smallwood Street and the Potomac River, in 1912; The Eagles Building on North Mechanic Street, both the old and new building; The Boulevard Hotel on Kelly Boulevard, now the Smith Apartments, in 1921; The Algonquin Hotel in 1926; the Masonic Temple in 1912; the Elk's Home on South Centre Street, in 1929; the Taylor Athletic Club in South Cumberland, in 1920; the Howard Theatre, later the Garden Theatre, on North Mechanic Street, for Blacks, in 1927; Webster's Dancing Academy in the Jenvey Building on South Centre Street in 1922; The Y.M.I. (Young Men's Institute) at Robert's Hall in South End, in 1924; The Cromwell




ID:
achm211

Page #:
211

Creator:
Miller, Herman J.

Rights:
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland

Date:
1978

Collection Location:
Cumberland

Contributor:
Stegmaier, Harry

Subject:
Cumberland (Md.), history

Coverage:
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976

 
 
Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image