Cumberland, Maryland (Sports)
7. During what period was horse racing popular in the Cumberland area? Where were races held? When? What were the various locations used for this sport? When did horse racing end in this area?
The first horse racing track in Cumberland was known as the Oak Hill Fair Grounds. The first fair and horse races were held when the fair and track opened on Tuesday, November 9, 1869, under the direction of the Agricultural and Mechanical Society of Allegany County and West Virginia and Pennsylvania. This race track and fair grounds was located on Virginia Avenue and ran east of Virginia Avenue between First and Second Streets to what is now Pennsylvania Avenue. In 1873, betting, known as Paris Mutual betting, was in operation at this race track. On opening day at the Oak Hill Fair Grounds, United States President U.S. Grant and Governor of Maryland Bowie were invited. This race track operated until the Tri-State Race Track and Fair Grounds at the south end of Virginia Avenue, with the C&O Canal as a backdrop, opened. On October 6, 1892, at the race track in South End on Virginia Avenue, a public wedding was held in conjunction with the fair and races. Miss Fannie Mallone and George T. Duvall were married by Reverend Horscall, a Lutheran minister from Frederick. The Cumberland Concert Band was in attendance and after the ceremony played the "Coronation March" from "The Prophet" by Meyerbeer. After the wedding there were four races. On July 4, 1895, the races at this track consisted of a free-for-all pace or trot, a race for three year olds and under, a running race, the bicycle race, and a mule race. The Cumberland Concert Band of 38 men was on hand. You could
Miller, Herman J.
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland
27 x 20 cms
Cumberland (Md.), history
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976