Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search
Collection:


Words or Phrase:


Search Method Help Image




Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description
        
 

  


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
 
Cumberland, Maryland (Sports)


Sports Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information

   



ride the electric streetcars from almost any place in Cumberland to the Virginia Lane (Virginia Avenue) railroad crossing, cross the tracks by foot, then board a horse car waiting to take you to within a few feet of the entrance of the race track. Or you could ride special B&O Railroad trains from the Queen City Pavement to the Virginia Avenue crossing, or go by excursion canal boat, the "Louise, " from the lock at what is now the Western Maryland Railroad Station down the canal to within a few feet of the gates of the race track. The trip took 25 minutes and cost fifteen cents roundtrip. On January 12, 1912, the Cumberland Matinee Club was organized at a meeting held at the Windsor Hotel by a number of Cumberland horsemen. The purpose was to conduct afternoon horse races at the Cumberland race track. Officers elected were president, Dr. C. A. Matthews; vice-president, George Longerbeam; secretary, C. W. White; and treasurer, Wendall Straub. The race track in South Cumberland closed around 1916. No more horse races were held in Cumberland until the Cumberland Fair Association opened the race track and fair grounds known as Fairgo in 1925. The last horse races held here were in 1961, but the fair continues.


8. When were automobile and motorcycle racing popular in the area? Where were events held?

In 1966, the Cumberland Fair Association, at their track at Fairgo, endeavored to make automobile racing popular in the Cumberland area. The half-mile horse racing track was made into an automobile racing track. Special




ID:
achm250

Page #:
250

Creator:
Miller, Herman J.

Rights:
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland

Date:
1978

Collection Location:
Cumberland

Original Size:
27 x 20 cms

Contributor:
Stegmaier, Harry

Subject:
Cumberland (Md.), history

Coverage:
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976

 
 
Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image