Cumberland, Maryland (Sports)
“without any pow-wow whatever, " dived off the Blue Bridge, swimming to the West Virginia shore and went to the house of a friend. While beaten to the punch by the young lady, Wellington and Law did make their dive to show their intentions were good. On January 12, 1924, Raymond "Ike" Law was to swim under the ice on the Potomac River, but when time came to do the swim, there was no ice on the river at this point, the Blue Bridge. A large crowd had gathered, so rather than disappoint them Law swam down the river for 100 yards and back to the shore at the Blue Bridge.
The first indoor swimming pool in Cumberland was known as the Crystal Pool and was located in the Crystal Laundry building on North Mechanic Street, now Touch of Home. It was operated by Raymond "Ike" Law, who also taught swimming. This pool was opened June 10, 1922. Later, the YMCA, in their new building, installed a pool. Allegany Community College has an indoor pool. Cumberland also had a number of public outdoor pools. The Ali Ghan Shrine Country Club had a pool in Evitts Creek and later built a swimming pool in front of the present club. The Cumberland Country Club has a swimming pool. A swimming pool at the Celanese on McMullen Highway was operated for many years by the Celanese Athletic Association. Public swimming beaches were at the island in the Potomac River three miles south of Cumberland at the foot of Dingle Hill and at Acme Beach at Strong's in Evitts Creek, off the Williams Road. Sunkist Pool on South Street in South Cumberland operated for about ten years from 1923. There is a swimming pool at the Holiday Inn on South George Street. Two pools, one for adults, the other for children, are in Constitution Park. There is also a pool on Pine Avenue. Many homes in Cumberland have
Miller, Herman J.
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland
27 x 20 cms
Cumberland (Md.), history
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976