Cumberland, Maryland (Sports)
the Potomac River at the south end of Riverside Park. The building was two stories and had a dance hall, kitchen, two bathrooms, and had racks to store the members' canoes. The club was organized by the late Robert Shriver, who was president of the First National Bank. The club was disbanded in 1927. The reason given was the pressure of everyday business by the members and the increased use of automobiles. On a Saturday in July, 1897, five members of the Shawnee Canoe Club shipped their canoes over the Romney Branch of the B&O Railroad to Hanging Rock, four miles below Romney, West Virginia. On the following day, which was Sunday, they put their canoes into the river and paddled and drifted down the river. At 5:00 PM, they arrived at McLaughlin's Ford, where they camped for the night. On Monday morning, they drifted leisurely downstream and in the afternoon passed through the mouth of the South Branch into the main channel of the Potomac River. They then, with their canoes, took a westbound train at French's Station on the B&O Railroad, back to Cumberland. The distance made by canoe was 35 miles.
Pleasure trips could be taken on the Potomac River motor launch. Most trips were up the Potomac River to the island and back. Motor launches were owned by Reid and Couter, and Clark and Dryer. Also, you could take a trip down the C&O Canal by motor boat. On Saturday, July 25, 1908, George G. Young, proprietor of the Crystal Laundry, gave employees a delightful day's outing down the Canal. The party embarked on "The Cumberland," the fine motor boat owned by Captain Frank Brinker. Fred C. Dryer had three boats to haul passengers on the river and the canal. Their names were "Olympia,"
Miller, Herman J.
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland
27 x 20 cms
Cumberland (Md.), history
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976