Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search

Words or Phrase:

Search Method Help Image

Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
Cumberland, Maryland (Sports)

Sports Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information


for charity. Annual hikes are held locally to raise money for various worthwhile causes. Many years ago, hiking or just plain walking was one of the favorite forms of recreation. Some of the favorite hiking locations were Wills Mountain to Lover's Leap and on the towpath of the canal from the feeder lock at the Western Maryland Railroad Station to the Wiley Ford Bridge in South Cumberland and return, and to the island in the Potomac River. As an example of the popularity of hiking before automobiles, an item in the local paper dated April 24, 1899, said that one thousand persons visited Lover's Leap on Sunday. It was common practice to go for walks on pleasant days, in the evenings, or on Sundays. People would walk their neighborhoods or even to downtown Cumberland. One of the favorites was Riverside Park where people sat on the benches and heard the band concerts which were held on Sundays or even to watch the boats on the Potomac River. Many people would walk from their homes in various parts of Cumberland to visit the various cemeteries, especially on Decoration Day when the graves were decorated with home-grown flowers, and at which time the war veterans were honored. People even walked downtown to shop. All this was before the streetcars and automobiles. A common practice when a young man was courting was that he and his girl would take a walk downtown to take in a movie or to visit an ice cream parlor. If something important was going on, such as the soldiers' encampment in 1917 on Camp Hill at the site of Allegany High School, many people would walk to Camp Hill to see the soldiers or to visit relatives. When parades were held, as on Decoration Day, Labor Day, Armistice Day, or when other parades were held, hundreds of people would walk downtown to see the parades. Even in 1871, during the building of


Page #:

Miller, Herman J.

Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland


Collection Location:

Original Size:
27 x 20 cms

Stegmaier, Harry

Cumberland (Md.), history

Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976

Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image