Cumberland, Maryland (C&O Canal)
February 10, 1871, John Howard was executed by hanging for the murder of Captain Henry Miller. The gallows were set up on the side of a hill (near what is now the County Home and Infirmary). The jail was on Washington Street next to the present library building. The Fifteenth Regiment, Maryland National Guard, was called out in case it was needed. From the jail on Washington Street to the County land where the gallows were set up, there was a procession which went down Washington Street, up Baltimore Street, out Centre Street, up Payne Spring Alley (near Knox Street) and to the place of execution. At exactly 12:30 PM the trap was sprung, and the condemned man went to his death. After hanging for about a half an hour, the body was examined by Dr. Duvall, who pronounced him dead. The body was cut down and buried at the foot of the gallows. On the following Saturday night the remains of John Howard were taken from their grave and carted into Cumberland for dissection.
On April 21, 1871, pay for the lock tenders was set at $50.00 per month for single locks and $75.00 per month for double locks.
On May 21, 1871, Jacob Brengle, local merchant, received a canal boat cargo of fresh packed herring.
On July 12, 1871, the boatmen on the Canal formed an organization which was known as "The Boatmen's Benevolent Society." One hundred persons signed as members the first day.
On March 17, 1873, a canal boat loaded with lumber came up the Canal to Cumberland.
On March 26, 1873, two empty boats left Cumberland for Georgetown to return loaded with salt.
Miller, Herman J.
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland
27 x 20 cms
Cumberland (Md.), history
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976