Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search
Collection:


Words or Phrase:


Search Method Help Image




Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description
        
 

  


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
 
Cumberland, Maryland (Medical profession and hospitals)


Medical profession and hospitals Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information

   



contents to the Board of Governors of the Memorial Hospital, this being made possible by a legislative enactment. The Directors of The Western Maryland Hospital continued to operate that institution until the end of August, when it was closed and the patients transferred to the new hospital.

The Board of Governors of Memorial Hospital were Chairman Thomas B. Finan, Treasurer Tasker G. Lowndes, and Secretary George C. Young. Other Board members were Arthur J. Weber, Morris Rosenbaum, Henry Bachman and Dr. Thomas W. Koon. William J. Finn was Superintendent. Miss Katherine M. Obert, former superintendent of The Western Maryland Hospital, was Assistant Superintendent. William E. Newberry was Engineer in charge of all mechanical effects and installations. The Nurses' Alumnae Association of The Western Maryland Hospital donated the furnishings of one room. The Ladies' Auxiliary, Cumberland post of the American Legion, donated the furnishings of one room. Fort Cumberland Post No. 13 of the American Legion erected two fifty-foot steel flagpoles for the State and National colors in front of the Memorial Hospital. The Post also erected a bronze tablet inscribed with the names of those from this city who gave their lives in the World War. The Post also furnished a room in the hospital. The official seal of Memorial Hospital, designed by William D. Paisley, Accountant for the institution, was in the form of a Greek cross with the date of the opening, 1929, and the motto of the hospital suggested by Mr. Paisley, "Exegimus Monumentum Aere Perennius," meaning, "We have erected a monument more enduring than bronze."

The erection, fitting up and equipment of Memorial Hospital was in the hands of the following. Hospital Consultant was Dr. S. S. Goldwater of




ID:
achm151

Page #:
151

Creator:
Miller, Herman J.

Rights:
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland

Date:
1978

Collection Location:
Cumberland

Original Size:
27 x 20 cms

Contributor:
Stegmaier, Harry

Subject:
Cumberland (Md.), history

Coverage:
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976

 
 
Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image