Cumberland, Maryland (Medical profession and hospitals)
beds and 25 bassinets. A three-deck parking structure accommodating 325 vehicles was completed in 1969. In 1972, the hospital's school of nursing was closed and the nursing curriculum transferred to Allegany Community College. The nurses' residence has been renovated for use as a medical building housing offices for physicians and various hospital departments. The newest addition to the hospital is a fifteen bed intensive care, cardiac care unit opened in early 1973. The director of Memorial Hospital is Robb Ruyle. He succeeded John Moberly, who served as director from 1950 to 1977.
8. Other Cumberland hospitals, sanitoriums, clinics and medical institutes.
On December 10, 1902, The Wills Mountain Sanitarium Company, recently organized, was about to take possession of the Wills Mountain Inn on the mountain overlooking Cumberland. Dr. Henry D. Fry of Washington, who was president of the company, some time ago closed for the purchase of the property. The company was later organized, the incorporators being Dr. Fry, W. George Fry, George Y. Worthington., W. S. Bowen and George Barnes of Washington, D. C., and Dr. James T. Johnson of Cumberland. The sanitarium opened in 1903. The main building was three stories high, with a stone and frame addition containing, in all, 30 rooms, with a dining room and kitchen. Equipped with a vapor steam plant for heating and supplied with spring water from 60,000 gallon reservoirs, the sanitarium also contained an amusement hall.
The sanitarium offered every facility for the sick, but it did not take contagious cases. It was especially adapted for the care of convalescents
Miller, Herman J.
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland
27 x 20 cms
Cumberland (Md.), history
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976