Cumberland, Maryland (Medical profession and hospitals)
In 1914, Dr. H. W. Hodgson's Sanitarium at 29 1/2 South Liberty Street, advertised itself as one of the finest and most thoroughly equipped sanitariums in the United States with wonderful electric sprays, baths, and the like. Dr. Hodgson's office was at 13 South Centre Street. Dr. Hodgson also advertised as having in his sanitarium a large static machine, a large inhalatorium cabinet, large ozone generator apparatus, the Seibert-Welsh Insto-Vacuum Vibrator and Air Apparatus, a Bachalet magnetic wave generator, and the King Edward electric bath cabinet. Dr. Hodgson said in his advertisement,”imagine sitting at one side of a room and being sprayed from head to foot by an electrical current that feels like a real shower bath, but penetrates deep into the root of pain or disease and leaves an exhilarating effect that is as pleasant as it is invigorating."
A new sanatorium and home, under the direction of Dr. J. E. Chapelle, at 214 Columbia Street in Cumberland, opened July 1, 1925. Dr. Chapelle, for ten years, followed his profession at the Wills Mountain Sanatorium and for the previous two years at 225 Baltimore Avenue. The Columbia Street Sanatorium and Home was used for the treatment of high class patients and special select cases of alcoholism and drug addiction, which were treated by Dr. Chapelle.
In 1925, Dr. A. Leo Franklin opened a private hospital on Baltimore Avenue, now the site of the Leasure-Stein Funeral Home, at 230 Baltimore Avenue. The building contained more than twenty-five rooms. The first floor held, besides the doctors' consulting rooms, the treatment rooms containing all kinds of electrical equipment, including the violet and ultra-violet ray. The first floor also had a laboratory and darkroom and a
Miller, Herman J.
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland
27 x 20 cms
Cumberland (Md.), history
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976