Cumberland, Maryland (Medical profession and hospitals)
large addition built to accommodate a very complete x-ray department. Dr. Franklin was one of the first medical men to put in a deep therapy x-ray plant for the treatment of cancer and tumors. This apparatus was capable of supplying current of 245,000 volts, only 200,000 volts of which could be used. The x-ray department consisted of five separate rooms, all devoted to this branch of hospital work. Probably the most complete in the county, this institution and its equipment represented a value of more than $100, 000. On the second floor was the operating room in an addition to the building, with high ceiling and splendid lights. Other connecting rooms on this floor were the sterilizing room and a dressing room, with a comfortable sun parlor in connection. Of the more than twenty-five rooms in the building, some were luxurious, especially some of the private rooms. One suite, the Mahogany Suite, was more than notable with its large bedroom, connecting bathroom with marble bath, shower, sitz bath, and trimmings of cut glass and silver. The third floor was utilized as a ward and had accommodations for about ten patients. The other part of the third floor was used for private rooms. Dr. Franklin did his major surgery, however, at The Western Maryland Hospital. He operated what was termed the best radium treatment in this state, outside of Baltimore City, and was fully equipped for such service. Among the innovations he introduced was the use of the radio knife, one of the latest and most startling surgical inventions. The advantage of using this knife over the ordinary scapel, it was understood, was that the surgical operation was rendered bloodless or almost so.
There are several nursing homes in Cumberland today. The Lions Manor Nursing Home on Seton Drive, the Cumberland Nursing and
Miller, Herman J.
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland
27 x 20 cms
Cumberland (Md.), history
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976