Cumberland, Maryland (Medical profession and hospitals)
in the evening on December 8, 1905. The hospital was in the heart of the residential section of the city, easily accessible from all points and within a few blocks of the streetcars and railway depot. The building, surrounded by large elms, with a handsome lawn in front and far enough from the street to eliminate all disagreeable noises, was a large well-built brick structure, with large, light airy rooms lighted by gas and electricity and heated throughout by hot water. Each room had its own bath and toilet rooms with porcelain tubs and fixtures and open plumbing, making them sanitary in every particular. The first floor was devoted to medical cases only. The offices and pathological laboratories were also on this floor. The second floor was used for surgical cases and contained operating and sterilizing rooms. The operating room was thoroughly modern in construction, finished, and furnished, and offered every facility for clean, aseptic, up-to-date surgery. The laboratory for pathological and chemical work was thoroughly fitted up to meet all requirements and was in charge of Dr. W. R. Roard, late Assistant Pathologist at Catonsville State Hospital and the Maryland General Hospital of Baltimore. The ambulance service, which in Cumberland was supposed to be as efficient as in any other city in this country, was connected with the Allegany Hospital and patients needing such service were accommodated for a moderate charge. The hospital was supposed to contain every appliance known to the medical world, including the well-known x-ray department which was fitted for thorough flouroscopic and radiographic work, as well as for the treatment of diseases that had been proven to be helped by this means. The rates for patients in the hospital were to be extremely moderate and included bed, board, regular nursing care, and all of the ordinary medicines and remedies.
Miller, Herman J.
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland
27 x 20 cms
Cumberland (Md.), history
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976