Cumberland, Maryland (Medical profession and hospitals)
Special medical treatment and special nursing was extra. Special diets were served, when prescribed by a physician, without extra charge. A training school for nurses was operated in connection with the hospital. The course extended over three years and the lectures were delivered by members of the staff. The directors of the hospital were Dr. E. B. Claybrook, president; Dr. C. H. Brace, Vice-President; Arch A. Young, Secretary-Treasurer; Dr. George L. Broadrup, Dr. E. L. Jones, Lloyd Lowndes and George Schwarzenbach.
The general staff of physicians and surgeons included the following. On the surgical staff were Dr. W. R. Foard, Dr. E. B. Claybrook, Dr. H. S. Wailes, Dr. A. H. Hawkins, Dr. George L. Carder, and Dr. Edward Harris. On the medical staff were Dr. C. H. Brace, Dr. George L. Broadrup, Dr. C. L. Owens, Dr. Willys R. Hodges, Dr. E. H. White treating eye, ear, nose and throat diseases, Dr. R. Y. Fechtig, Dr. E. L. Jones, pathologist, and Dr. W. R. Foard. The head nurse was Miss Marion C. Spier.
In May, 1911, the hospital, known in the charter as "The Allegany Hospital of Allegany County, Maryland," transferred all its property to a newly organized corporation known as "The Allegany Company" formed by George D. Landwher, Henry J. Glick, Theodore Thumel, Joseph Grabenstein, Michael S. Fesenmeir, Hugh A. McMullen and John F. McMullen. These were named in the charter as directors for the first year. The charter was dated May 11, 1911 and was acknowledged and approved by Judge Robert R. Henderson. Its capitalization, stock division, and objectives were substantially the same as the previous corporation. The transfer cost $25,150. This company was succeeded by The Allegany Hospital of the Sisters of Charity, Incorporated.
Miller, Herman J.
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland
27 x 20 cms
Cumberland (Md.), history
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976