Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search
Collection:


Words or Phrase:


Search Method Help Image




Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description
        
 

  


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
 
Cumberland, Maryland (Medical profession and hospitals)


Medical profession and hospitals Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information

   



the darkroom and the plate study room, where the doctors could make a study of the photographs of their patients. This room contained a large view box enabling the hospital to display fifty x-ray plates at one time. The darkroom was much the same as used in commercial photography and contained all appliances for the work. The picture room contained a large ten kilowatt high tension transformer of ninety thousand volts. A specially build radiographic table for taking stereoscopic pictures enabled the doctors to see depth in the plate, useful in fractured rib work and for locating foreign bodies, such as bullets in gunshot wounds. This equipment was equal to that of any hospital equipment for the purpose between Baltimore and Pittsburgh.

When the Allegany Hospital was transferred to the Sisters of Charity in 1914, the management of the hospital then devolved upon Sister Florence and her associates, Sister Clara, Sister Edith and Sister Angelica. In 1913 the first major enlargement of the hospital took place. Although the hospital had been enlarged, the small private residence in which the hospital began its existence in 1905 still formed the central portion of the structure.

The first annual report of the Allegany Hospital of the Sisters of Charity for 1923 showed the statistics for the year, during which the hospital was listed Class A by the American College of Surgeons, Bureau of Standardization. The annual report showed that 2,428 patients were cared for during the year 1923, and of these, 1, 882 were pay or part-pay patients, and 656 were free patients.

The training school for nurses was established in 1911 under the direct supervision of the superintendent of the hospital. The curriculum embraced theory and practice in a training session of three years, the first




ID:
achm164

Page #:
164

Creator:
Miller, Herman J.

Rights:
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland

Date:
1978

Collection Location:
Cumberland

Original Size:
27 x 20 cms

Contributor:
Stegmaier, Harry

Subject:
Cumberland (Md.), history

Coverage:
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976

 
 
Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image