Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search
Collection:


Words or Phrase:


Search Method Help Image




Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description
        
 

  


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
 
Cumberland, Maryland (Medical profession and hospitals)


Medical profession and hospitals Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information

   



three months of which were probationary.

The Allegany Hospital Alumnae Association was organized in 1914. The aim of the Association was to further the efficient care of the sick, to uphold the dignity of the nursing profession, to foster cordial relations among the nurses, and to advance the interests of the Allegany Hospital training school. While all graduates of the Allegany Hospital training school were eligible for membership, the constitution distinctly stated that an undesirable nurse could be excluded from the Association by action of the same organization. Membership in the Allegany Hospital Alumnae Association entitled one to membership in the Maryland State Association and in the American Nurses Association. In the first class of nurses to graduate from the Allegany Hospital nursing school in 1908, there were only two people. Ten years later, in 1918, there were five, and five years later in 1923, there were ten.

On March 30, 1925, fire, believed to have started from a match or lighted cigarette thrown down a waste chute, threatened destruction of the Allegany Hospital in which sixty-five patients were quartered. Although many of the patients became frenzied with excitement, they were soon calmed by the scores of doctors and nurses who hurried to the hospital when they learned of the fire. Four infants and three maternity patients were carried across the street to the residence of Charles E. Mullan when smoke filled the first floor of the hospital. Upon the alarm being turned in, East Side and Central fire companies answered at once. At that time it was found that a heap of paper and cloth in the furnace room at the bottom of the chute had been set afire and the flames rose through the metal lined chute to the third floor of the building. In the meantime, the hospital's own fire apparatus was brought




ID:
achm165

Page #:
165

Creator:
Miller, Herman J.

Rights:
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland

Date:
1978

Collection Location:
Cumberland

Original Size:
27 x 20 cms

Contributor:
Stegmaier, Harry

Subject:
Cumberland (Md.), history

Coverage:
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976

 
 
Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image