Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search
Collection:


Words or Phrase:


Search Method Help Image




Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description
        
 

  


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
 
Cumberland, Maryland (Medical profession and hospitals)


Medical profession and hospitals Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information

   



apparatus was brought into use and the flames had apparently been extinguished by the time the firemen arrived at the hospital. After careful examination, the firemen decided there was no further danger from the fire and returned to their quarters. The patients who had become excited were calmed and the work of mopping up the water on the three floors of the hospital was begun.

It was then discovered that a fire more intense than the original one was bursting through the chute doors. Another alarm was sent in and this time it was answered by all four fire companies of the city. The fire spread through the partition on the first floor. A large part of this wall was torn away and the floor was torn up in places, as was the ceiling of the basement. After working several hours, the firemen made sure that every spark had been extinguished and left the hospital. Smoke filled the entire hospital, and many patients insisted on leaving. Some patients were moved to a wing of the building where the smoke had not penetrated. Other patients remained in their rooms, where they were calmed by doctors and nurses. Scores of doctors, ministers and priests went to the hospital when they learned of the fire and aided in calming nervous patients. Fire insurance covered the loss to the building.

Sister M. Fidelis was president of the Board of Directors and managed the hospital. She expressed public thanks for the aid given the hospital by the firemen and by the doctors who assisted in keeping the patients calm. Several thousand spectators lined the street outside the hospital, but none were allowed inside by police officers who guarded the doors.

In 1951, the name of Allegany Hospital was changed to Sacred Heart Hospital. In the early 1960's, plans were made to build the new Sacred Heart




ID:
achm166

Page #:
166

Creator:
Miller, Herman J.

Rights:
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland

Date:
1978

Collection Location:
Cumberland

Original Size:
27 x 20 cms

Contributor:
Stegmaier, Harry

Subject:
Cumberland (Md.), history

Coverage:
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976

 
 
Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image