Cumberland, Maryland (Medical profession and hospitals)
meals to patients in various sections of the hospital, a government subsidized poison control center for Western Maryland and the tri-state area, are located at the hospital. Other features are the chapel for the use of patients and visitors of all faiths, a well lighted parking lot, a strikingly handsome lobby and waiting area, and five high speed elevators. One of the most important attributes of the hospital is the dedication and skill of the sisters who operate the hospital.
9. How the new Sacred Heart Hospital came into being.
Sacred Heart Hospital on Decatur Street fought a losing battle against obsolescence, structural deficiencies and site limitations. It seemed possible, even probable, that it would close its doors. That possibility roused the community to action. Civic leaders and ordinary citizens throughout the region realized that Sacred Heart was no sectarian enterprise, but an institution serving the entire community, and one for which the community as a whole was responsible. They realized that Sacred Heart was a hospital serving everyone needing medical care, regardless of religion, race or creed. Three-quarters of its patients and a large majority of its medical staff and employees were non-Catholic. Faced with this crises, the community mobilized committees of prominent citizens, including physicians, to see what could be done, not only to save Sacred Heart but to build a better one. The decision to rebuild was spurred by the generosity of Judge George H. Henderson, who donated the beautiful 25 acre site on top of Haystack Mountain. Faith in the project was manifested by a wide, gently graded, all-weather road to the site.
Miller, Herman J.
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland
27 x 20 cms
Cumberland (Md.), history
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976