Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search
Collection:


Words or Phrase:


Search Method Help Image




Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description
        
 

  


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
 
Cumberland, Maryland (Medical profession and hospitals)


Medical profession and hospitals Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information

   



campaign to raise funds for the project was begun under the general charimanship of Lewis J. Ort. The goal set was $500,000. To the general surprise and great delight of the entire community, the drive surpassed its goal by well over $200, 000. Construction of the new Sacred Heart Hospital began in January, 1965. On March 19, 1967, open house was held at the new Sacred Heart Hospital. On June 11, 1967, the hospital was dedicated by Lawrence Cardinal Shehan, archbishop of Baltimore, who conducted the formal dedicatory service and blessed the cornerstone. More than 500 persons were seated on the terrace for the entire program. Patients were moved from the building on Decatur Street to the new Sacred Heart Hospital on March 28, 1967. Sacred Heart Hospital, at the time of its opening, had 247 beds as compared to the 25 beds of the Allegany Hospital on Decatur Street when it opened in 1905. The new Sacred Heart Hospital is operated by the Daughters of Charity of St. Vincent DePaul. Helicopters land and take off with patients from a landing pad directly in front of the hospital. Sister Margaret James is administrator. The Director of education is Sister Margaret Dougherty.

The transfer of patients from the hospital on Decatur Street to the hospital on Haystack Mountain took place on Tuesday, March 28, 1967. State and city police escorted ambulances and station wagons in the transfer of patients from the old Sacred Heart Hospital on Decatur Street to the new hospital on Haystack Mountain. Two cruisers of the city police department were used in leading the convoys to the new hospital. Ten ambulances were used to transport bedfast patients, while patients who were ambulatory were driven to the new Sacred Heart Hospital in station wagons. Besides the two




ID:
achm169

Page #:
169

Creator:
Miller, Herman J.

Rights:
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland

Date:
1978

Collection Location:
Cumberland

Original Size:
27 x 20 cms

Contributor:
Stegmaier, Harry

Subject:
Cumberland (Md.), history

Coverage:
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976

 
 
Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image