Cumberland, Maryland (Bus and Air Transportation)
In 1952, Metropolitan Trailways operated from Cumberland to Baltimore, and Washington, D.C. The Osgood Bus Lines and Reynolds Transportation Company ran from Cumberland to Romney, West Virginia and that general area in West Virginia.
In 1956, Eastern Greyhound Lines began operations to Baltimore, Washington, D.C, Cumberland, and Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
In 1960, the Lincoln Coach Company operated into Cumberland.
In 1966, the Mountain State Bus Line also operated into Cumberland.
Today, Greyhound Lines operates from Cumberland east to Baltimore, Washington, and eastern points and west to Pittsburgh, and other points West. Willetts' Bus Line operates charter service to all points in the United States from Cumberland, where they have a travel service office.
Today, the Allegany County Transit Authority, organized on September 2 7, 1974, serves regular routes in the Cumberland City limits as well as State Line, Pennsylvania, Bowman's Addition, Wiley Ford, West Virginia, the Celanese Plant, plus Frostburg, Midland, and Lonaconing. Their terminal is located at 1000 Lafayette Avenue.
2. Where were bus terminals located in Cumberland? When?
In 1918, the first bus line waiting room was established on Bedford Street between North Centre and North Mechanic Streets. In 1921, it had moved to 10 North George Street. In 1929, the Blue Ridge Bus Line had a terminal at No. 1 North Liberty Street. In 1931, the Blue Ridge Bus Line had moved to 20 South Mechanic Street. The Cumberland and Westernport Transit Company was located during various times at 20 South Centre Street and 10 North George Street and
Miller, Herman J.
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland
27 x 20 cms
Cumberland (Md.), history
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976