Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search
Collection:


Words or Phrase:


Search Method Help Image




Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description
        
 

  


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
 
Cumberland, Maryland (Bus and Air Transportation)


Bus and Air Transportation Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information

   



112 Union Street, in 1940, at No. 9 Frederick Street and 10 North George Street, in 1946, at 10-18 North George Street and No. 9 Frederick Street, in 1952, at 139 North Mechanic Street, now the Kennedy Homes, and 10 North George Street, in 1956, at 139 North Mechanic Street, in 1958, at 12 Valley Street, and in 1970 at 26 South Front Street.

3.       When did airlines begin operating into Cumberland? What airlines operated into Cumberland during various periods of time? When? To what other cities did Cumberland have airline service? When?

In 1940, the All American Air Line operated into Cumberland. In December, 1965, the Nicholson Air Service started service of one flight a day to Baltimore, Maryland, and return. Today, the Nicholson Air Line services Washington, D.C., Baltimore, Maryland, and Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Both passenger and freight are also run to Latrobe, Pennsylvania, Ocean City, Maryland, and Georgetown, Delaware.

4.       Where were airports located in Cumberland? When?

The first airplane to come to Cumberland was in the first week in September, 1912, when an airplane came here and landed and took off from Johnson's Heights, near the Louisiana Avenue-Hilltop Drive area.

On April 2, 1920, Richard V. Ridgely arrived in Cumberland from Philadelphia flying a Curtiss OX plane. The plane landed at the racetrack in South Cumberland, where Mr. Ridgely built a hangar and conducted an aviation school. On September 1, 1921, Lt. Paul C. Wilkins, attached to the




ID:
achm095

Page #:
95

Creator:
Miller, Herman J.

Rights:
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland

Date:
1978

Collection Location:
Cumberland

Original Size:
27 x 20 cms

Contributor:
Stegmaier, Harry

Subject:
Cumberland (Md.), history

Coverage:
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976

 
 
Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image