Cumberland, Maryland (Streetcars and Buses)
STREETCARS AND BUSES
1. When were streetcar lines laid in Cumberland? Where did they run?
The first streetcar tracks were laid in Cumberland in 1891. On April 4, 1891, tracks were laid from Baltimore Street to the Narrows Park. This line ran from Baltimore Street north on Centre Street to Route 40, now the National Pike, to the Narrows park. In May, 1891, the tracks were laid east on Baltimore Street to Rebecca Street, now Park Street, north on Ann Street, now Central Avenue, south on Maryland Avenue to Virginia Avenue and to Fifth Street.
On June 2 7, 1891, the first streetcars arrived and were in the car house, called a barn, on North Centre Street. The following inscriptions were put on the cars: "Narrows Park," "South Cumberland," and "Cumberland Railway."
On July 2, 1891, an experimental trip was made with streetcar #2 of the Cumberland Electric Street Railway Company, and in the afternoon the other cars were run over the street for trial. The run was from the car house to Narrows park and back to the car house. One of the cars was run down Centre Street to Baltimore Street. The cars moved with remarkable smoothness. Five cars were completed and readied for use, and drags or summer cars were expected to arrive in Cumberland that evening.
On Saturday, July 4, 1891, the attention of the people of Cumberland was turned towards the electric railway, which was formally opened to the public. Crowds who thronged the streets curiously awaited the arrival of the first car, only to gaze upon it with amazing wonder. The running of the cars was an entire success. All day long, the cars running regularly were crowded with passengers,
Miller, Herman J.
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland
27 x 20 cms
Cumberland (Md.), history
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976