Cumberland, Maryland (Streetcars and Buses)
many of whom rode to SS. Peter and Paul's picnic at Narrows Park.
On August 6, 1892, laying of the streetcar tracks for the West Side run was started. Company officials stated that the work would be completed by October 15, 1892. The route for the West Side line was from Baltimore Street to Water Street to Green to Lee to Fayette and out Fayette Street to the gates of Rosehill Cemetery, returning the same way.
In 1892, a streetcar line was laid down South Centre Street, to Williams Street to South Mechanic to Baltimore Street, connecting by a spur to the Baltimore Street line. This line was discontinued in 1897. On September 13, 1898, a number of Cumberland citizens suggested that the car tracks on South Mechanic Street be removed since they were not being used and the tracks damaged other vehicles. In addition, in 1898, a horse car line was in operation from below the B&O Railroad crossing on Virginia Avenue to the Walsh Addition and to the fair grounds at the end of Virginia Avenue. For a fare of five cents, a passenger could ride from any part of the car line in the City to the end of the streetcar line in South Cumberland and then use the same ticket to board the horse car line. This horse car line was discontinued in 1901.
On October 13, 1903, the Cumberland Electric Railway Company had a large force of men at work laying a new line up Harrison Street. Big sixty.pound rails were being put down. It was to connect with the existing line on Park Street, but cars were never run to Park Street. However, the Cumberland and Westernport Electric Railway Company did use the Harrison Street tracks to their freight house on Harrison Street at the B&O Railroad crossing.
On October 4, 1905, at the Cumberland City Council meeting, an ordinance was introduced granting the South Cumberland Electric Railway Company
Miller, Herman J.
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland
27 x 20 cms
Cumberland (Md.), history
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976