Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search
Collection:


Words or Phrase:


Search Method Help Image




Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description
        
 

  


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
 
Cumberland, Maryland (Streetcars and Buses)


Streetcars and Buses Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information

   



permission to construct a line in Cumberland. The route of the road is to be from Baltimore Street south on Mechanic Street to Williams Street to the City Limits, to Oldtown Road to Grand Avenue to Fifth Street to Laing Avenue and to the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad crossing on Virginia Avenue and to the City Limits. The line was to cross the railroad crossing on Virginia Avenue by a bridge fifteen feet above the railroad. This line never came into service.

On November 17, 1910, the new South Cumberland run went into operation. The line ran down South Centre Street to Williams to Wineow to Thomas and to Second Street and connected with the Virginia Avenue line.

On May 17, 1916, the first carload of steel rails for the new streetcar extension of the Cumberland Electric Railway Company from Green and Lee Streets to "The Dingle" was on Smith's Siding and was ready to be unloaded. On May 24, 1917, after waiting a year for the Green Street subway to be built, the streetcar company decided to lay tracks from the B &0 Railroad tracks out Green Street to the end of the paved section.

On October 2 7, 1917, the streetcar line to "The Dingle" was put into operation. When work on the Green Street subway was finished, the car tracks connected at Green and Lee Streets.

On November 10, 1917, the first "Dingle" car was run from Baltimore Street over the West Side line to the "Dingle." The Green Street subway was then open.

On October 26, 1925, the first streetcar was operated through the Virginia Avenue subway. The line from Fifth Street was joined to the existing line, which started at the entrance to the B&O Railroad roundhouse on Virginia Avenue. One could then ride from Narrows park to the end of Virginia Avenue without going from one car to another.




ID:
achm103

Page #:
103

Creator:
Miller, Herman J.

Rights:
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland

Date:
1978

Collection Location:
Cumberland

Original Size:
27 x 20 cms

Contributor:
Stegmaier, Harry

Subject:
Cumberland (Md.), history

Coverage:
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976

 
 
Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image