Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search
Collection:


Words or Phrase:


Search Method Help Image




Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description
        
 

  


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
 
Cumberland, Maryland (Streetcars and Buses)


Streetcars and Buses Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information

   



A Cumberland & Pennsylvania coal train jammed into the streetcar, turning the car around parallel with the railroad tracks. Heeding the warning given by crossing watchman Hodel and Lieutenant Schmutz of the B&O Railroad police, all on the crowded car succeeded in escaping injury by jumping from the car before impact. One woman who was on the streetcar platform was knocked to the crossing bed and was injured, although not seriously. John J. Green was motorman and Luther Schinholt was the conductor.

On April 15, 1902, the motormen and conductors of the Cumberland Electric Railway Company began working a twelve hour day. They had been working longer hours.

On May 5, 1902, streetcar #16, with motorman Peter Cosgrove and conductor Miller in charge, had a recordbreaking day. The car hauled 1,045 people from early morning until 12:30 AM. The record was set because of the showing of the Forepaugh and Sells Brothers Circus in North Cumberland.

On August 8, 1902, car fenders for the Cumberland Electric Railway arrived and were attached to the cars as soon as they could be fitted. They were the latest invention in the line of life saving devices, being known as the parmenter, and were warranted to gently lift up the confused or careless wayfarer out of harm's reach.

On October 14, 1903, a grievance committee from the local streetcar employees' union called on the Board of Directors of the Cumberland Electric Railway Company and asked for shorter hours of labor. The men were working twelve hours per day and asked for a ten-hour day. On October 27, 1903, the Cumberland Electric Railway Company announced that the streetcar company had granted the employees their request to work a ten-hour day instead of the twelve




ID:
achm105

Page #:
105

Creator:
Miller, Herman J.

Rights:
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland

Date:
1978

Collection Location:
Cumberland

Original Size:
27 x 20 cms

Contributor:
Stegmaier, Harry

Subject:
Cumberland (Md.), history

Coverage:
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976

 
 
Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image