Cumberland, Maryland (Streetcars and Buses)
On January 4, 1910, on the last run for the night to South Cumberland, car #26 of the Cumberland Electric Railway, manned by motorman Michael McGee and conductor Torris Twigg, was struck by an eastbound freight train at the Baltimore Street crossing of the B&O Railroad. The accident happened at 11:40 PM. There were two passengers on board. No one suffered serious injury. The train was moving very slowly, but the headlight was not lighted and for this reason crossing watchman King thought that the train was not in motion. He signaled the streetcar motorman to cross and almost at the moment McGee saw the danger, the collision occurred. The streetcar was thrown about at right angles to the crossing but fortunately was not overturned.
At the City Council meeting on March 18, 1912, Cumberland Mayor George G. Young presented an appeal for "owl car" service on the South Cumberland line. This would offer an hourly car service between Uptown and South Cumberland from midnight until regular service would begin at 6:00 AM.
On October 30, 1913, a South Cumberland electric car, with passengers enroute to their places of employment, crashed into an immigrant train at the B&O Railroad crossing on Baltimore Street shortly before 8:00 AM. Four persons were injured, none seriously. The front part of the car and three railway coaches were damaged. The car rails were slippery and in coming down the grade the car got beyond control of the motorman. As soon as motorman Wolf saw that the collision could not be averted, he jumped from the car, thus saving his life as the platform where he was standing was completely demolished. Several passengers standing on the rear platform also jumped, escaping injury. Only three passengers were injured.
On June 18, 1914, a waiting room for streetcar passengers was opened
Miller, Herman J.
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland
27 x 20 cms
Cumberland (Md.), history
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976