Cumberland, Maryland (Streetcars and Buses)
in a room on the first floor of the Third National Bank building on South Centre Street. It was also used for the Cumberland and Westernport Electric Railway passengers. It had benches, a soda fountain, a newsstand, and also sold streetcar tickets.
On June 26, 1914, the Cumberland Streetcar Company put into service the first pay-as-you-enter streetcar on the South Cumberland via Shantytown, now Wineow Street, run. This would, in days to come, do away with one streetcar man on each car.
On July 19, 1914, the Cumberland Electric Railway placed a National trolley guard over the Baltimore Street crossing of the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad. It was a network of trolley wires in the shape of an inverted trough, which was charged. If the trolley jumped, which it often did because of the jolting when crossing over the railroad, the trolley was caught in the net and the car kept on moving. This eliminated the danger of the car stopping suddenly on the crossing when the trolley wheel left the wire with the resultant risk of being run down by an engine or train.
On Thursday, June 15, 1916, thirty-six additional cars per day began running from South Cumberland to Narrows Park by way of Second Street. The schedule began at 5:45 AM.
On October 21, 1916, streetcar traffic to the West Side, which had been seriously handicapped during the construction of the new concrete structure spanning the creek at Baltimore Street, was resumed at 6:16 AM, when the old schedule to the West Side again went into effect, cars running directly from South Cumberland via Maryland Avenue to Rosehill Cemetery. While the bridge was closed due to construction, a streetcar was kept on Green Street at the corner of
Miller, Herman J.
Mayor and Council, City of Cumberland
27 x 20 cms
Cumberland (Md.), history
Cumberland (Md.), 1700-1976